Search all Posts

Website Pages

Blog Categories

Festivals

Friends of GH

Archives

How To Use Azamax

I’ve got a Japanese Maple outside my bedroom window. This time of year the leaves are usually changing from lush, bright green to dark, fall reds. But I noticed yesterday that the leaves were more brown and yellow than red, and in fact, my beautiful tree is infested with some seriously nasty bugs. Click the photo to see them closeup. So gross. Ugh.

The good news is that not all of my maples are infested. So, to stop them before they spread, today I applied Azamax, the General Hydroponics OMRI listed insecticide. It’s organic and way easy to use. It’s also totally safe for the many beneficial creatures in my woodland forest garden. Before GH released Azamax, I used to create a hippie concoction of garlic, cayenne and neem oil- it was a total pain in the ass and honestly, some bugs didn’t like it, but it never really worked. Azamax absolutely works, and it works in three unique ways. It repels them from the leaves, it prevents them from eating, and it disrupts the molting hormones in juvenile insects.

The rates of application are listed in the information booklet that comes with Azamax, including very specific information on each crop and each pest. Because a little goes a long way, I mixed up the low-end, mid-range rate: 1 fluid oz. per gallon. I did some simple calculations and poured 1 tablespoon into my 32 oz. bottle. It’s enough Azamax to cover 1000 square feet.

When the amber colored Azamax concentrate meets water, it becomes a milky white emulsion. After you mix it, keep it well mixed by shaking up the bottle as you work. And be sure to use your prepared mixture within 24 hours. Spray it on both sides of the leaf, and try to cover the plant as completely as possible. It’s recommended that you spray every 7 to 10 days, but because my situation is particularly dire, I’m going to spray every 5 days until I see an improvement.

Related Content:
Azamax, What Does It Do?
Azamax in the Detroit News

Comments

Comment from Red Icculus
Time February 22, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Azamax is the only insecticide that I use in my garden. It is gentle and doesn’t require a surfactant like straight up neem oil. It also doesn’t settle out of the mix if you don’t finish a spray bottle in a night.

It is a great product and worth every pepper that I have saved in my garden.

Comment from Jim
Time August 13, 2012 at 6:47 am

The store up by me was told by the DNRE they had to have special permits to stock and sell this stuff, I want to know why. I live in Mich.

Comment from pennywize
Time August 13, 2012 at 8:23 am

Because it is an EPA registered pesticide. In many states, sellers of pesticides have to have a permit to sell them to people who do not have operator ID’s for pesticide applications.

Comment from Anonymous
Time February 26, 2013 at 9:34 am

This stuff ROCKS!!!!

Comment from Shon
Time March 29, 2013 at 10:35 am

I have sprayed my plants with Azamax three weeks in a row, including the soil…..cleaned everything etc…
But today, I noticed a huge hatch of spider mites…..how can this be? I looked online, and one guy said the makers of azamax’s main ingredient does not say it works for spider mites…….it does seem to have helped with the scale insects though….how do I kill these mites once and for all? Azamax was supposed to inhibit them somehow, not kill, I know….there are thousands od them, even though I used the right concentration of azamax
X. Right ph, etc….any suggestions? Thanks!

Comment from pennywize
Time March 29, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Azamax is effective in combating spider mites. You just have to be diligent and keep applying it. You might want to apply it every three days in order to interrupt their breeding cycle. Also, complete coverage is vital. If you miss areas under the leaves, they will congregate their.

Comment from shon
Time April 2, 2013 at 11:43 am

Thanks!
Could you please tell me the exact dosage (in ounces) to use for spider mites, how many days apart, for how long…..to totally get rid of them? I have heard several different amounts, from .5 oz to 1 oz….my Ph is around 6.5…..also, ow long do I need to keep them out of bright loth after spraying?

Comment from pennywize
Time April 4, 2013 at 1:10 pm

One ounce per gallon is a heavy dose for treating a bad infestation. I would apply it as a foliar spray every three or four days. Complete coverage is the key. Get absolutely every square centimeter of the plant, top and bottom of leaves. You also want to drop your pH to 5.5 – 6.0 when mixing it. After two or three weeks they should disappear.

Write a comment

Hot Topics

Community Festivals floraseries Flowers Food general hydroponics generalhydroponics general organics Greenhouse growing hydro hydroponics information nutrients Organics plants products Systems veggies video