Search all Posts

Website Pages

Blog Categories

Festivals

Friends of GH

Archives

How To Propagate Plants With Rapid Rooter

I recently purchased some hearty coleus plants for my yard. I love them and they are well suited for my part shade garden. So I decided that I should propagate them. Coleus are notoriously fast to “strike”(ex: form roots), so they should be ready to go into the ground before it gets too much colder here at my house in the redwood forest.

Taking cuttings from donor plants is really easy. Besides saving money on new plants, it allows you to perpetuate your plants without breeding while preserving their exact characteristcs. I love the General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter 50 Plug Tray because its complete and simple. The plugs are all natural, made with organic materials, and they come innoculated with beneficial microbes. I can’t name all the reasons I like this product more than rockwool, but, one- they are way more natural, two- they aren’t as likely to rot the soft stem of the cutting.

Materials: Rapid Rooter 50 Plug Tray, Sharp Scissors, Peroxide, Donor Plant, Heat Mat, Lid, Water

Step 1. Clean the scissors with peroxide, then use them to cut a small branch from the donor plant. Cut right above any node, on the diagonal.

Step 2. Stick the cut end into the Rapid Rooter Plug. Fill the tray with as many cuttings as you like, up to 50.

Step 3. Pour 1/4 inch water into the tray. As the plugs dry out, refill the water.

Step 4. Set the tray on a seedling heat mat. Add the lid and keep the whole thing in the sun.

That’s it! As they sprout roots, I’ll keep you posted!

Comments

Comment from jeff
Time October 28, 2008 at 9:48 am

I dont care what any one says!!!! Rapid rooter is better than any thing out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just tryed it out last week for the first time and its awesome! Numero uno!!!

Comment from Red Icculus
Time November 9, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Rapid Rooters were great until I got a batch that had thrips in them. Yuck!

Comment from Tiger Lilly
Time November 10, 2008 at 10:26 am

Eww, thrips suck! But, I can tell you that we have sold ten’s of millions of those plugs, and finding something like that would be the exception, not the rule. At GH, we are obsessed with quality, and I want everyone to know that if you are ever unsatisfied with a product, please contact the store where you purchased it right away, and feel free to hit us up with an email so we can make sure it’s all been resolved. I really appreciate all your comments, Red Icculus, and I’ll message you l8r about it all.

Comment from Red Icculus
Time November 11, 2008 at 4:27 am

Hi Tiger Lilly,

It got resolved. Koch Hydroponics exchanged it for some bug-free plugs. You know how those suckers can get into everything!

Comment from Hank
Time May 21, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I won’t try these again. Followed directions to a T, and after two weeks no roots. Potting mix, rock wool, perlite, or even a glass of water in the window work better for me than these things. Absolute junk in my experience.

Comment from David
Time July 13, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I have used rapid rooters for cuttings and had over 99% sucess rate ( I have only lost one due to slightly nicking the stem with the knife, out of several hundred). I currently am using an “ez-clone” machine and my success rate has dropped to about 95%. With the rapind rooters I would get roots in about 7 days, the ez-clone about 14 to 30 days. I am new to cloning, less than 2 years experience. I expect to get my percentages up with the ez-clone, but out of the box the rapid rooters work very well even with no experience. One thing I found with the rapid rooters is that they must be stored properly and not stored for too long. They are susceptible to problems that would be associated with any organic soil product, like drying out, mold etc. Keep them in a DARK, cool place and always handle them with sterile gloves if using for cuttings (gotta keep it clean!). …DFR

Comment from european
Time January 18, 2010 at 7:17 am

I want buy this art: “Rapid Rooters 72 piece bag”.
I’m living in Europe.
Please inform me where can I this product buy in the EU?

Comment from roger huzendubel
Time March 16, 2010 at 5:47 am

i did a side by side with rockwool. 12 cuttings with each. after 2 weeks rockwool was 8 for 12, rapid rooters were 12 for 12 and had to transpalnt after 8 days because roots were too big. rapid rooters are the best things going!!!

Comment from Tiger Lilly
Time March 16, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Hells yes they are! I get 100% germination rate with the rooters, and I’m glad you did too!

Comment from smiley
Time May 9, 2010 at 5:43 am

I’ve used rapid rooters twice now. First time, absolutely dreamy!!! No problems, 100% success rate! Just used another batch last week, absolutely BUNK!!! All the second cuttings wilted and got a kind of ROT. The second batch of rooters did kind of smell musty. Is there a shelf life??? Also, I purchased mine at The Tomato, in Durango, Co. They were stored in the exact opposite of a “dark, cool place”. ??? Am going back there now to see if how they handle my feedback. I’ll let you know, at 50% success though, I’m not sold on them yet!!

Comment from Anonymous
Time January 1, 2011 at 10:03 am

I just bought the spinner. I picked up Raid Rooter. I was wondering if that medium would go in to the Spinner? the guy at the store seemed to thinks but then againhe didn’t seem to now much abt the Sinner

Comment from Grim0013
Time March 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Rapid Rooters were the first thing I tried when I got into the hobby. Near 100% success every time. They work better and faster than my bubble cloner, which I have now converted to “post-Rapid Rooter, early-veg DWC thingy.” They are simple, effective and reasonably priced.

Using Rapid Rooters w/ CloneX gel and liquid.

Comment from adenryDarie
Time June 11, 2011 at 12:02 pm

hi there nice post you have going there.

Comment from adenryDarie
Time June 12, 2011 at 11:26 am

Just read the thread. Awesome job.

Comment from Don
Time December 16, 2011 at 4:22 pm

A part of this website mentions soaking these plugs in a “light blooming formula”. Is it possible to get more information on this? I am using the plugs to propagate roses.

Comment from pennywize
Time December 19, 2011 at 1:29 pm

A light bloom solution would be something in the neighborhood of 300 – 400 ppm with a N-P-K profile of something like 2-8-4. This could be achieved using a Flora Series (3 part) mix of 1ml/gallon of Flora Gro, 1ml/gal of Flora Micro and 2.5 mls/gal of Flora Bloom. Obviously one gallon would be far too much to soak one tray of Rapid Rooters, but the excess can be applied to house plants or to bedding plants in a persons landscape.

Write a comment

Hot Topics

Community Festivals floraseries Flowers Food general hydroponics generalhydroponics general organics Greenhouse growing hydro hydroponics information nutrients Organics plants products Systems veggies video